Tips on How to Teach/Manage an Autistic Child
Dos and don’ts
If ever you see anything which is not normal for your baby, the first things you will do are:
1. Write down those things, you have to take a look at every move, everything concerning to the baby or the kid's behavior.
2. Meet a doctor and discuss everything you wrote.
3. Follow whatever a doctor recommends
4. Help your child as you can despite his case
• Do not ever ignore what you are seeing that is not normal to your child
• Do not just rely on the doctor’s recommendations and advice as you know your child well than them. Yes, Doctors is giving you advice but not all and every single step. Try to study the child’s case and learn.
I know some parents out there were just ignoring other symptoms they are seeing and just leave it as is. Well, yea there are some reasons but please do your best to help them as you can. Think what maybe the result as they grow old. No matter your situation is but their future is in your hand until they grow old.
I had been speaking to you about my autistic nephew in my previous blog. And now, I just wanted to share some tips to handle them or some advice.
What to do if the kid tantrums
• Calming down by holding around the body tight until the kid will stop.
• Give what the child loves either a food or any thing to play.
• Talked to the kid in a calm way
• Always bring the things the kids always wanted to play; it might help you for some reasons.
• Don’t shout at the kid
• Don’t ever slap or pinch the kid
In the learning process, do not compare the special child to the one who is not because of it very different. Let the child learn step by step. Yes, the child is going to the school every day but first thing and foremost is the learning process begins at home. It begins with you as the child’s parent anything and all.
Let us take a look at these things:
• Eating - how is the child doing it? Is he or she aware when and where to eat? What are the foods he or she must eat? Remember that there are also foods which are recommended to them especially those foods which are not allowed for them to eat. Everything that is sweet foods is not allowed to an autistic child because it will make them more hyper. And so with sodas. After eating, does the child know what to do next?
after preparing the food in the table, let the child takes his or her own plate if it is self-service by taking the child’s right hand and direct it to the bulks of plates to get one, after that demonstrate to the child on how to get rice and let her or him do it by him or her own self. If he still cannot do it, with the hands of the child, slowly get the serving spoon with the plate on the other hand and scope rice and so with the viands. Repeat these processes every day until the child does it on his or her own alone. And so with how she or he eats, don’t feed the child teach the child how to eat. After eating, if she or he can manage to wash his or her hands, teach also if not. Always assist the child in everything he or she is doing in order to learn and to be trained until the child does alone.
• Taking a bath – is the child taking a bath alone? How he or she does it? See it carefully; maybe the child is drinking the water which is not supposedly. The child must know when and where to take a bath. What to do next after the bath? And why to take a bath early?
Explain or talked to the child everything you do with those actions, photos, and sounds. Showing simple photo or drawing of the subject alone is the best so that the child can easily distinguished or understand what you are pointing at. If going to the church, Show a picture of a church if you will go to church, if it is school, show a photo of a school. It is an import for the child to know what is going to happen or where to go. After the bathing, teach the child what he or she wears and allow him or her to dress up as well as in putting footwear.
• After school/church – what the child will have to do after coming from school or church?
Make a list of schedule for the child’s activities. If you can give 15 or 30 minutes of the following:
• Watching - explain to him or her what to watch and how long. Showing the clock in explaining if when he or she must stop watching also is a big help. What should the child watch? It is important to use educational learning clips and the language used also.
• Playing – assist the child while playing. If the child is playing with someone, it is important to always observe. Assisting them is great.
• Doing assignments from school/churches or studying – it is very important to assist the child. How he or she will do it.
• Sleeping – giving them time to sleep is also very important and keep maintaining.
• Visiting families and relatives – make a routine of visiting families and relatives with your child to be familiarized. Always tell the child everything, to know who is his or her relative’s faces are.
• Visiting nearby places/tourist spots - always tell the child the name of the place. If what you see which looks new to the child, let him or her touch if it is touchable to feel what it feels, to smell what it smells, if it is an animal, let the child hear any sound from of that animal. If possible that you can bring pictures and show the child the real and of that picture to see both. It is like you are always teaching the child in all every way.
Know the child if he or she loves animals. What is that animal? Maybe he loves a dog; observe it carefully if he or she does, let him or her to feed it. If he really loves it, try to buy a dog for him. If it is a bird, why not to buy for him or her a bird.
I want to share also what I watched on you tube. It is a very good movie to watch and it is very helpful. Please click this link.